The 1st July 1916 at 7.30 AM, the men of the Royal Newfoundland regiment left their trenches
under intense German machine-gun fire.
Half an hour later, only sixty eight men were still alive.
Their casualties numbered more than seven hundred.
Every officer who went into battle that day was either killed or wounded.
Ulster tower :
was the area of the 36th Irish
The 1st July 1916, the unfortunate Irish were trapped there between the British rolling artilleery barrage and the German machine gunners who emerged from the underground shelters of the famous Schaben Redoubt.
Having lost more than five thousand and five hundred men in few hours, the Division had to be withdrawn the following day.
The hill was one of the two key points of the Geman defensive line in the Northen sector of the British front.
It was known as the Leipzip Salient and on the 1st July 1916 was one of the principal disaster points of the offensive on its left wing.
In 1932, the British government decided to build the great Somme memorial :
This imposing monument, forty five meters high and visible for many miles around, commemorates the seventy three thousand and three hundred British soldiers who fell between July 1915 and March 1918 and who have no known grave.
This objective was in large part assigned to Australian troops.
On the 23rd July 1916 the Australians took Pozières but then were exhausted by artillery bombardment.
Three of theirs divisions serving in the Pozières sector lost over a third of their men.
The village was completely distroyed.
On the 15th September 1916 tanks appeared for the first time on the battlefield.
The 32 British Mark 1 tanks were deployed along the line from Courcelette to Longueval.
During the month of June 1916, the English engineer's soldiers made a lot of tunnels under the German lines.
On La Boiselle, Welch sappers made a tunnel of one hundred meters long, and, they put under the German trenches, twenty four tons of dynamite.
The explosion on the 1st July 1916 at 7.30 AM made a crater of one hundred meters in diameter and thirty meter in depth.
It is the "Locnagar Crater"
Aveluy wood :
From the village of Aveluy to the village of Hamel,, the British army buld twelve bridges across the river Ancre to take men, munitions and food as far forwardas possible of the hill of Thiepaval which is behind the wood.