Contrary to the other departments which sold their secondary lines to a multitude of independent small companies, the department of the Somme decided to establish a homogeneous network granted in
1882 to the “Société Générale des chemins de fer économiques”of which was a part line
Albert-Péronne Ham via Montauban of Picardy station, opened April 1st,1882 and closed to the travelers and the goods on January 1st, 1950
The rail ways were metric gauge. The modernisation after the Second World War allowed the circulation of railcar “De Dion-Bouton” on the whole Somme network.
The exploitation of the railroad network was severely disrupted by the first world war.
Having suffered the invasion and the retreat of the German in 1914, the department was shared, during several years, by the frontline.
During the French-British offensive in 1916, on Albert to Ham line, the metric gauge was laid and replaced by the British gauge between Maricourt and Péronne.
After the war damage repairs, particularly important on Albert's sector,the use gradually came back between 1919 and 1921,
With the exception of the Ham line which was particularly damaged:
For a few months, this axis was temporarily served by a gauge of 0,60m from Albert to Péronne, while waiting for its complete reopening in 1922.
After a many years' respite during which ways were modernized by the putting into service of railcars: besides the regular passenger traffic, special trains were started up on the occasion of agricultural shows, where numerous convoys transported the goods: apples, potatoes, chicory as well as beets and produce necessary for the sugar industry, the Somme knew again the torments of the Second World War.
After the conflict, the General Council decided to close certain lines.
On December 31st, 1949, the Albert-Péronne - Ham network was closed.
Jean- Pierre's grandparents purchased the buildings on the property in 1965.
Our family uses the station master's house and the guest house is the former station